trinity tie knot on teal and grey pattern tie
trinity tie knot on purple tie

Knot Dossier

• Share Photos With Me

alex krasny on facebookalex krasny on twitteralex krasny on instagram

• About This Knot

Originally this knot is called the Ediety, just for fun, I am going to pretend it was invented by a Frenchman but don’t quote me on that. It gained momentum when it was seen in the Matrix 2 being donned by the always-posh Merovingian, which is the name I prefer. This knot is very special, it looks as if your tie is actually wearing a little miniature tie! It will turn heads. It isn’t all flowers and rainbows however. This knot needs more prep than most. You need to hide how the tie ends when wearing the Merovingian knot. Be it with a vest, cardigan, blazer, sport coat, or suit, you need to cover it up! The knot is important to show, the ends are important to hide.

• Difficulty: High

It isn’t any harder, from a folding perspective, than a Windsor. However the inverted orientation does up the ante. It is somewhat disorienting to tie it until you get the hang of it. You just always feel like you aren’t doing it right until you are all the way done.

• Fabric Consumption: High

It has a high consumption but that hardly matters because you are planning to cover it up with a vest, cardigan, or suit right?

• Symmetry: High

It is just as symmetrical as the Windsor but that is hardly the talking point of this knot.

• Style: Any

Each different tie type brings something special to this knot. Experiment with all of the different ties you have to see which work the best. Sometimes paisley really looks outstanding when layered this way. Stripes also create a very cool effect. Of course with solids, you get to really bring emphasis to the knot itself.

• Venue: Celebratory, Casual

The knot is fun-loving and catchy. Take after the Merovingian from the Matrix and wear it out to a nice dinner.

• You Might Also Like

how to tie a krasny hourglass necktie knot

Hourglass
    truelove knot on a patterned blue tie

Truelove
    Cape necktie knot

Cape
    murrell

Murrell

13 replies
  1. thomas
    thomas says:

These knots are good if someone is trying to be on MTV cribs, otherwise you’ll be laughed out of town is my take on it. No one in real society or true business power would walk around like this.

• Jared Clemence
      Jared Clemence says:

Like Alex (@lexKrasny), I too wear “fanciful” knots, and I always get positive responses. And no, I don’t believe they are sarcastic admirations. While I would not wear this one at the office, I have worn knots like the Elderidge Knot in professional settings without loosing credibility. (Director of Information Technology, Pediatric Heart Center, Inc., Bakersfield, California)

• Glen
      Glen says:

Since I started wearing several of the knots seen on this site (This one included) I have gotten nothing but positive responses. People have asked me where I learned to tie this, or where I found it. I have referred quite a few people to this site that were interested in these knots. That’s the thing about “real” society, there isn’t just one size fits all. Where you’re from this might get “laughed out of town”, but that’s not everywhere.

2. Matthew W.
    Matthew W. says:

These ties are amazing. I wear a tie to work a few times a week and I impress people with all of these ties. You have to have imagination to wear these and walk with confidence. If you do nobody will doubt you about this tie!

3. Neal K.
    Neal K. says:

I started doing Tie Tuesday and Tie Day Friday at the office and I’ve used almost all of these knots so far. I have only gotten positive feedback. I’ve also worn them to dinner parties and the ladies love the different knots. These videos are fantastic; keep ‘em coming.

4. Isaac
    Isaac says:

So, fun plot twist:

Add an extra layer from the last two steps for an Eldredge/Ediety twist. Requires severe tweaking at the end, but looks absolutely spectacular.

5. Ms edeity
    Ms edeity says:

The knot was created by an Australian named ‘edeity’. The name was spelled incorrectly as it was shared. It was originally shared via PDF as there was no YouTube. Edeity’s kids are nonplussed that he created a wholly original tie knot.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] The tie that is wearing a tie this knot is for the pros. So we though it would better if a pro explained it […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!